LeMoyne Star Tutorial - Bee Inspired Quilting Bee

I cannot believe it is September already.  My, how fast the year has passed.  I have known for a few months which block I wanted to do for my month of my Quilting Bee, but I wasn't exactly sure of the other details.  I narrowed down the colors pretty quickly, but what size did I want?  In truth, I want all different sizes.

Of course, I cannot for the life of me find the "name" of this block. *I have since learned that it is the LeMoyne Star block*  I have made it before, but I did not follow a pattern or tutorial at all.

I wrote out the tutorial to measure 12x12 finished, but making this block any size is fairly easy.

Here you go, simple instructions for the block:
(4) 3 1/2" sq grey
(4) 4" sq grey
(4) 4" sq color 1 (the photos show 4 1/2" squares, but that was too big, 4" will be plenty)
(4) 4" sq color 2

IMG_2419[1]
  • Draw diagonal on wrong side of grey 4" squares
IMG_2420[1]
  • Place grey squares right sides together with (2) 4" squares of each color
IMG_2422[1]
  • Sew 1/4" on each side of drawn line
    • Cut along drawn line
    • Press
    • Trim to 3 1/2" square using diagonal as reference
IMG_2423[1]
  • Draw diagonal on wrong side of 2 of the remaining 4" squares
  • Place right sides together with other color
  • Sew 1/4" on each side of drawn line
    • Cut along drawn line
    • Press
    • Trim to 3 1/2" square using diagonal as reference
  • Arrange and piece together as shown in images below
IMG_2425[1]

IMG_2426[1]

IMG_2429[1]

IMG_2430[1]

IMG_2431[1]

IMG_2432[1]

IMG_2433[1]

And there you have it!  All done.  :)
If you want to make a different size, you just add 1" to the individual square size to get your pieces for the HST.
I cannot wait to see all of the beautiful stars my Bee-mates make.  :)

Comments

  1. I've always loved this block and had forgot that was the name of it. Can't wait to see all the beautiful blocks you receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great block, and you chose wonderful fabrics to show it off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty block, love the fabrics/color you chose!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments from you. It makes my day. I try to respond to each and every comment via email. Unless of course you are a no-reply blogger because I don't have a way to respond to you, but I appreciate and read the comments just as much.
I hope you have a wonderful day.
Happy Quilting!